April 7, 2012, I had the amazing opportunity to be apart of a wonderful cause that gave deserving high school senior girls a free glammed up prom makeover and a photo shoot, located at the Greenspoint Club.
Fashion Hangerz found by T. T. Taylor, is a stylist who specializes in photo shoots, image consulting and personal shopping. T. T. Taylor created the Senior Blossoms Project. Her vision was to give graduating high school seniors the empowering message that “she has the right to be a star in her own life.” T. T. wanted the young ladies to feel special by building their self-esteem and self-confidence. Senior Blossoms Project provides them with mentoring, gowns, hair, makeup, accessories, shoes–that they were able to keep for prom night! How cool is that?
Every Spring Senior Blossoms Project chooses 10 girls who are at the top of their class, who participate in school activities, and volunteer in the community or church. T.T. wanted to give this opportunity to girls who may not have the financial resources to attend their senior prom. As we know, the expense for this once in a lifetime event can easily add up to $800. For some families, this can be a strain, and this is where Senior Blossoms Project step in.
There were 8 girls from the Houston and surrounding areas, who participated in this years Senior Blossoms Project. The event felt more like something from an actual high fashion photo shoot. On hand to assist the girls were Model and Coaches: Tara Dillard and Cherae Fennell, to coach the girls during the photo shoot on how to move and pose, so the photographer could get the best shots. The young ladies did very well and their confidence was in full bloom before my very eyes! The CW 39 News Fix covered the event. News Fix is a nightly news show that airs at 5pm and 9pm.
- Jazmine Cook: She is in the top 26% of her class with a GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale. She is the captain of the basketball team. She is in PAL’s which is a program at her school that mentors younger children at elementary schools, in addition to other activities and accolades.
- Sydney Owens: Has a GPA of 3.8 and in the top 38% of her class. She participates in talent shows and musicals. She is on the high school step team, and in the school choir, as well as other school activities.
- Marsheeka Oveal: Marsheeka is the third of 4 children in her family. She holds a 3.37 GPA and is a member of the Student Council and DECA (Distributive Educational Clubs of America) which focuses on business and marketing. Marsheeka has narrowed her college choices down to Prairie View A&M University and the University of Houston.
- Mari Wygal: Mari is ranked in the top 10% of her class. She is an active member of the youth ministries at her church, Progressive New Hope Baptist Church. Mari also attends Upward Bound, a college preparatory program.
- Renechia Washington: Renechia has been an athletic trainer for the varsity basketball team and track and field for four years, and enjoys it very much. She hopes to attend Sam Houston State University where she would like to continue her athletic training endeavors.
- Anna Kaiser: Anna who lives in Victoria, TX, stays busy as a long time member of the 4-H Club. The 4-H club has given her the opportunity to learn archery and participate in many tournaments. Anna also teaches art at Texana Center for the Arts, in addition to volunteering at her church, St. Paul Lutheran.
- Amanda Martinez: Amanda, who also lives in Victoria is in the National Honor Society, Health Science Occupation Students of America (HOSA), Spanish Club and has been in the varsity choir since her freshman year. Amanda will be graduating in the top 10% of her class and plans to attend Victoria College in the fall to pursue a career in pediatric nursing.
- Ann Keese: Ann holds a 3.9 GPA and is ranked 5 out of 387 in her class. In addition to maintaining a high GPA, she is heavily involved in school and community activities such as: Varsity track and cross country, The National Honor Society, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Spanish Club, Habitat for Humanity and many others. Ann has dreams of becoming an architect after college.
4 thoughts on “Girls Gone Glam for Prom!”
Wow,these young ladies look amazing!!! I love that the event also highlighted their inner beauty and accomplishments. Kuddos,great article!!
From A_to_B~Ahshia B.
The shoot looked amazing & so did the girls! Loved the dresses! I bet that night was the best ever! Was their prom the same night?
Thanks! @ Faith Seeker, no. I'm not sure when the prom is but it's probably coming real soon. The girls no idea what they were in for, but they truly deserved it. The shoot was fun for me because it felt like high fashion and it was for a great cause.
T.T. is really making her vision come to life right before our eyes….Keep up the good work and positive attitude !!